Re: [LUG] DATABASE FOR LINUX

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 10:52, Craig wrote:
Have moved over to Linux on everything but my 6 year old's games and
Databases.  Don't look for much luck on the first but would like some
help with the last.  I use MS Access at work and home, looking for a
Linux database program that I could move to.  Preferably something with
the same structure as Access. Any help suggestions appreciated.

Rekall from the Kompany looks like an early approach to that interface.

OpenOffice has some visual design stuff that looks generic, but I think in
version 1 only handles one database table.

MySQL goes on the back end, or PostGreSQL and are a bit more serious than
Access, think SQL Server.

For general large text stuff other arrangmenets may be as good, but if there
are lots of fields and indexing is desired then the proper datbase stuff is
in order.

Using the Webserver and PHP is one rapid way to an interface for relatively
simple stuff that can be extended to arbitrarily complex databases and across
platfoms etc etc.

--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/