Re: [LUG] Free software and users

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:50:27 +0100
Adrian Midgley <amidgley2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Snip
The first group should recognise their wishes are being deferred to in a
polite fashion by the others, and reciprocate.
--

Thank you, Adrian,

This argument has been going on for years, with the purist RMS supporters insisting
that GNU/Linux is the only true way, and those who are more pragmatic, and recognise
that "Linux", as a name, has a simple, easily recognisible identity. This clear
identity can only be useful in the spread of the OS and the GNU supporting software
we all know and love. Having different distros is confusing enough to monopolist
accustomed minds, and a choice of "Linux" or "GNU/Linux", can only muddy the waters
and lead to confusion amongst the very people we need to persuade to come over.

So I believe calling it GNU/Linux will only lead to confusion to the "great
unwashed", and division with our community(locally and at large). I also think that
a major reason for Linux and its success is its clear identity, and that there
was/is almost total confusion about Unix and its myriad flavours.

Let us, if only for the sake of unity and clarity, stick to "Linux", and ensure that
as people join us they are made aware of the vital importance of GNU (and, by
implication, RMS) in the over all scheme of things.

I prefer LUG to GLUG (unless the first is "to carry", and the second "the sound of
one throat drinking (real ale))!

Terence