Re: [LUG] Free software and users

I take it the consensus is that we should rename the group GNU/Linux user group. I agree with this because it will emphasise both GNU and Linux are different but related items, and also most questions asked are GNU issues, not Linux issues as as you rightly point out Linux is the kernel, A few weeks ago I had a problem with a shell script, which is in effect a GNU issue, if I had problems with compiling the kernel for example then that is a kernel (linux) issue. Matt and Neil are right in emphasising the difference, and the importance that people realise the difference.

If we can change it, then it will be for the better, and help new and existing users, and the less time new users spend saying linux and the more time saying GNU/Linux the better I guess.

Isn't this a Linux *User* Group?

Sounds cool, At out first meeting there was a GNU/FSF Flyer, any chance of getting some more? to be handed out at different venues, perhaps over time there could be a set available were we meet if at least one person living near a possible venue, (paignton (me then), Plymouth, St Austell and Exeter are our usual venues, so one person has a set of leaflets and brings them along. As we need more, can we get them easily, is this flyer downloadable? How much would it cost to print off say 50/100/500/1000 or whatever.

Soon to be a GNU/Linux User Group. It is also being considered that the Devon and Cornwall GNU/Linux User Group may become an FSF (non-)Corporate sponsor.

Besides, *Linux* (or more accurately GNU/Linux) is just as important as *user*.

To help, I have put a link to the no patents page on the paigntonrugby.net web site, and also a link to the software site I used to produce the photo album (jalbum) which is open source software too.

Paul