Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

On Monday 11 October 2004 12:16, Neil Williams wrote:

Writing code does not cost any money.

Aieie.

I am not an economist (although from time to time I read it.)
It has been accepted by sufficient people of considerable smartness and whose
world-models seem to work that the concept of "opportunity cost" is valid.

Whatever you do incurs an opportunity cost - while you do it, even if only
half your capacity is engaged, there are other things which you cannot be
doing.

If some of the latter would generate revenue, or increase surplus value, then
in every accounting convention I know anything of the activity is reckoned as
if it is costing money.

Writing code is in theory more economical than Chess in that no clock is
required and it can be done by one person (Chess, a game requiring a clock
and two players.  A board and pieces may optionally be used, and are found
convenient by many) however it commonly implies a computer, and a roof, and a
chair and in short _goods_, which each have capital and revenue consequences
of their own - in short, they are reckoned by the common man (on the Clapham
omnibus with his Palm Pilot) as costing money.

I recommend Martin Fink's book, "The Business and Economics of Linux and Open
Source" which I bought a while after hearing him speak at OSHCA's meeting in
UCLA.  Appendix C is the GPL, and he was, of course, Bruce Perens' boss for
some time.  It can be read, by arrangement, at any of my premises, I'm not
letting it out of the building.

One of the differences between political and philosophical movements is their
view of arguments about theory in public.  The latter see it as core
business, the former as something between treachery to the cause and a a
nuisance.

--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/