Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

On 2004.10.12 18:39 Neil Williams wrote:
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 1:27 am, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> On Monday 11 October 2004 12:16, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Writing code does not cost any money.
>
> Aieie.
>
> I am not an economist (although from time to time I read it.)
> It has been accepted by sufficient people of considerable smartness
and
> whose world-models seem to work that the concept of "opportunity
cost" is
> valid.

WRONG. You assume that all activity 24/7 is worthy of income. I write
code in
my spare time, in my dreams, in the car - i.e. in circumstances where
I am
ALREADY doing something else which no-one in their right mind would
charge
for.

Writing code does not cost any money BECAUSE IT IS NOT WORK.

Try telling that to anybody at Alcatel, IBM. Microsoft, blah blah blah.
Just because YOU don't charge for it.
Food is free if you beg outside supermarkets.
How much investment does it take to become a professional coder ?
I've been playing with coding in various languages for years, and I am still not of a professional grade.
I write code to perform functions for me, no-one else, and as such, the code I write has no financial value (except where it saves me time or from having to buy some one elses code)
Oh, did I just say "buy some one elses code", why isn't it free, it doesn't cost anything to write!

What is free anyway ? Just a word. Whether you mean free financially, or otherwise, everything you do in life has some form of COST.
Less time with the kids, less time in the car (with the top up or down !), less time.