Re: [LUG] Free software and users

On Sunday 10 October 2004 7:29 pm, Grant Sewell wrote:
Freedom is important because unless GNU/Linux remains free software, it
will disappear. Open Source only helps proprietary systems steal the code
unless it is open source under a GPL compatible licence.

How exactly does using non-GPL software cause GPLed software to disappear?

"embrace and extend" the Microsoft mantra. Where are QuarterDeck? DR-DOS?

If GNU/Linux became non-free, required £150/licence to install and the
source code disappeared behind non-disclosure agreements, EULA (to
prevent you copying the binary-only install CD) and DRM, would *you*
still use it?

What has this got to do with using non-GPL software?

The developers of the original program made their choice to use code that they
knew was already patented and/or to patent the code they added. If they had
chosen to use free software, everyone would benefit. This is a trend and when
it gives the proprietary program a programmatic advantage over free software,
it gives the company leverage over the community. If members of the community
follow like lambs, the free software version can get left behind. The cycle
begins.

I was under the
impression that _this_ thread was about PowerDVD!

Originally, but I changed the heading.
:-)

How the hell could
PowerDVD cause GNU/Linux to be non-Free with a £150 fee per licence?

The process is clear and the more programs that are involved, the more it
weakens the position of free software. You probably noticed that the tickets
to the LinuxWorld Expo were created in a Windows version of Adobe Acrobat
that was incompatible with all GNU/Linux readers - even MacOSX. This kind of
proprietary-only feature creep is insidious and dangerous. I complained in
the strongest terms and I won't let up until I am satisfied.

Forgive me for being a little naive, but I was under the impression that
Cyberlink were/are writing DVD playing software, not an OS.  The bottom
line of GNU/Linux, maybe, but not the bottom line of Cyberlink/PowerDVD.
Their bottom line is £.

As is RedHat. Cyberlink had the option to use the GPL, they had the option to
do things the free software way, albeit harder. They chose not to, so they
should not expect to get an easy ride from those who DID do things the hard
way! It's hard work following standards you know! Dead easy to do only what
you want to support.

Yes, we do, but that doesn't mean that evangelism and closed-mindedness

You know I'm not of a closed mind - but I will stand up against things that
threaten my projects or GNU/Linux or software freedom in general.

his own admission) and it was someone else's suggestion to him that it be
under the GPL.

At least he listened, otherwise we'd all be getting our first taste of the
GNU/Hurd.

Only so far as those users continue to have the freedom to use the
software as they see fit, which includes having a full and free choice of
software - arising from free and full access to the source code to bring
new developers into the loop.

Doesn't the phrase "full and free choice of software" also encompass using
non-GPL software?

Of course, but why should that mean that the choice cannot be challenged?

May I make an observation: It would be rather unwise for a company that is
basing at least some of its revenue-making software on Free Software (ie
GNU/Linux) to actively try to disrupt the status-quo by supporting Software
Patents (or rather, the restrictiveness of said patents)

Cough, IBM, Novell, Sun, . . .

.  Rather than
saying "Don't use their software, they support Software Patents",

My opposition is to the legal status of patents, not those who own them - deal
with the cause, not the symptom. If patents can be muted, those who own them
are less of a threat.

Remember, the biggest problem with patents is not the ones you know you've
already avoided but the spurious ones that have no basis but need expensive
legal cases to disprove.

and
thereby giving The Company reason to pursue patenting (if we're not using
their software, they're losing money - to make money, kill the opposition
with patents)

The Microsoft way is not the only way. Look at RedHat.

, wouldn't it be more advisable to try to persuade The Company
that Software Patents are not a good idea and that they will succeed in
killing off one platform of revenue if they persist and restrictive
Software Patents become the norm.

Of course, but also fight the patents themselves - they aren't legal in the
EU, yet.

In my eyes they are giving something back. Familiar, proprietary
programs let people have an easy transition to a new O/S.

That can be done by improving the existing free software. This program is
not giving anything back to the community because they are not helping
the other products to improve. GNU/Linux is not about competition and
secrecy but openness, cooperation and choice for the user.

Unfortunately, to be technically legal the Free Software written to play
DVDs also needs a licence to use the CSS encryption/decryption, and
unfortunately this licence is not a one-off payment variety.  Who would pay
the on-going licence fees to allow the Free Software DVD player to remain
legal?

Not me. This whole area is off-limits to my machines. Thereagain, I don't
watch DVD's on the computer, I'm too busy with code and email. However, that
does not mean I won't protest for the benefit of others! (I do have some
unencoded DVD's because they don't come from the big name producers.)

Now, I do not agree with the idea of said licence fees, but my
opinion doesn't change the reality of the _current_ situation!

No, that's true. Still worth a protest though.

Bottom line for me is that non-Free Software will _always_ be around, so
burying one's head in the sand is daft.  Forgive me, but where did the idea
of support from "The Community" come into this debate?

Umm, because someone asked us (and we are part of the GNU/Linux community) for
help with a proprietary package! (Before I changed the thread.)

Any why wouldn't
proprietary software work with Free Software?  Surely Free Software uses
Open Standard, which even proprietary software manufacturers are open and
allowed to use?

I didn't say it wouldn't, just that users shouldn't expect support when it
doesn't. (I get a lot of that over on the GnuPG mailing list - lots of
queries about PGP - umm, go and ask PGP, it's not our program!!)

I fully appreciate everyone's opinions, and everyone is entitled to their
own opinion.  I do, however, find that some people can be a little (putting
it nicely) overly evangelical.  _My_ opinion is that Free Software is
fantastic, and that *important* things need/must be be Free.  Not just
Open, because Open is, as its name implies, open to interpretation and some
softwares' interpretation of Open is not.  However, there is a place for
proprietary software too.  Indeed, the argument could very well be that
without the two types of licencing in the same field, software will
certainly stagnate.

I certainly agree there. I do NOT want a GNU/Linux monopoly - contrary to what
some may believe so far.

For example, using the ol' example of a world with NO
Free Software: The Company with the most money will buy the competition
"Embrace and Extend" is the phrase, I believe!

Precisely.

Therefore the software will
stagnate because there is no competition anymore!

As Microsoft found. I like the idea that GNU/Linux is bringing Microsoft into
the open about security and firewalls - this kind of thing is GOOD for all
computer users and all computer developers.

Take the other extreme,
though - there is nothing BUT Free Software: All sofrware will function in
exactly the same manner because they will all emulate the one that is most
popular.

I know your point but I don't think it's quite that simple. How many HTTP
servers are available for your distribution? Just because Apache is far and
away the leader by all measurements, doesn't mean the others are not being
developed.

A certain GUI function is causing software A to pull ahead - due
to the openness of it all, software B implements an identical function, but
the icon is different.  Both pieces of software end up being functionally
identical.  No competition.

KDE and Gnome? As you say, there are dangers with a completely GNU/Linux world
but the examples you've selected are too simplistic. I don't think examples
are particularly necessary, the point is clear and I agree fully.

The thing with free software is that it really doesn't matter if you only have
1 user for your program in the entire world.

Please bear in mind that this is a very simplistic version of my views
since this is already a very long email!

Understood.

--

Neil Williams