Re: [LUG] Free software and users

On Sunday 10 October 2004 4:48 pm, Dave Trudgian wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
Do NOT make your system a sacrifice to the proprietary binary. There are
enough problems with ePatents without GNU/Linux users ACTIVELY installing
proprietary binary programs that are KNOWN to have patent issues.

I dare say for many Linux users, including myself, there are proprietary
binaries that make linux a usable single desktop solution.

Proprietary isn't quite as bad as proprietary with known patent issues!

Freedom is important because unless GNU/Linux remains free software, it will
disappear. Open Source only helps proprietary systems steal the code unless
it is open source under a GPL compatible licence.

Why
is it sacrificing your system if you do not believe wholeheartedly in
the FSF ethos?

Because you are still using free software, still benefitting from it and you
presumably have an interest in keeping it available to you (and me) and those
who will use it in the future.

If GNU/Linux became non-free, required £150/licence to install and the source
code disappeared behind non-disclosure agreements, EULA (to prevent you
copying the binary-only install CD) and DRM, would *you* still use it?

Freedom is what makes GNU/Linux so popular, it's what drives all the work on
security, flexibility, openness, co-operation, stability, usability,
development, support and design. Every reason for anyone to move to GNU/Linux
only exists because of the freedom of the code itself - as GNU/Linux itself
only exists because of the freedom of the source code.

There's no escaping the bottom line of GNU/Linux:
Free software exists for the benefit of everyone - not just those using it now
but all those who will want to use it in the future. By holding back
development now (as Cyberlink are doing) they directly harm the usability of
the OS for the future. There is no justification for hiding source code -
read that again: NONE. All source code is for sharing.

Even if you don't care for freedom for your personal use, it doesn't mean you
should encourage or perpetuate systems that threaten to remove that freedom
for those who follow.

It's a little like conservation: Those who are alive today have an obligation
to respect those who are yet to enjoy what we have. Allowing/encouraging the
extinction of a species/landscape/structure shows a disrespect for future
generations. Most people accept that what happened to the Dodo was a bad
thing and that the hunters had no right to obliterate an entire species for
their sport.

I laugh at some of the GNU preaching,

Without the work of the FSF, Linus Torvalds wouldn't have been able to release
the Linux kernel. The kernel itself is no use without the body of GNU
software, created by the FSF. I think we all owe an enormous debt to the FSF.

but don't go around
telling people it's utter tripe on LUG lists as it's my opinion and I
respect those with different ideas.

Until those ideas threaten the survival of my own code and projects, yes. I'm
a free software developer, I have enormous vested interests in the GNU/GPL
and the FSF. It isn't wise to let these issues just sail passed us - others
on this list may disagree, some will be alerted into becoming involved. Such
is the way of any such group.

Isn't this a Linux *User* Group?

Soon to be a GNU/Linux User Group. It is also being considered that the Devon
and Cornwall GNU/Linux User Group may become an FSF (non-)Corporate sponsor.

Besides, *Linux* (or more accurately GNU/Linux) is just as important as
*user*.

Looking back at recent discussions I
really have to side with those who put forward the notion that the most
important thing for Linux these days is a large installed user base that
go "wow, this is really good", something that definitely can happen with
Knoppix etc.

Knoppix simply would not exist without the FSF.

The more Users, the more successful a User group?! I

Only so far as those users continue to have the freedom to use the software as
they see fit, which includes having a full and free choice of software -
arising from free and full access to the source code to bring new developers
into the loop.

I don't think all proprietary software is evil, that's part of freedom, but
when certain proprietary programs, companies, policies (patents) threaten to
REMOVE the choice of whether to use proprietary or free - that I DO care
about.

didn't argue the case as I don't feel a user group is an appropriate
place to discuss the complex politics of Open Source/Free Software at
length as it alienates people.

Unfortunately, the idyllic world of non-politics doesn't exist, the archive
contains political/ethical/moral questions as well as technical ones.

This is someone taking from the community without giving anything back.
Like a parasitic louse, it benefits from the flexibility of GNU/Linux but
refuses to allow itself to be 'contaminated' by the freedoms that are
fundamental to the rest of the GNU/Linux system.

 > Just use another program, like Ogle.

In my eyes they are giving something back. Familiar, proprietary
programs let people have an easy transition to a new O/S.

That can be done by improving the existing free software. This program is not
giving anything back to the community because they are not helping the other
products to improve. GNU/Linux is not about competition and secrecy but
openness, cooperation and choice for the user.

Why shouldn't I have a choice of 6 very similar programs? If a majority of
users get tempted into a proprietary program that uses proprietary codecs, we
all lose.

I despise
xine, ogle, mplayer etc as they lack features, and have always been
flaky for me.

Have you tried them recently? Have you filed a bug report?

Bottom line for me is that proprietary software can boost the Linux user
base, and make linux an acceptable platform for many.

Bottom line is that those who choose to use proprietary software should not
expect to get support via the community or expect any proprietary software to
work with free software.

Once onto Linux
people are likely to experiment with the multitude of OSS available
which is a good thing.

If proprietary binaries overtake the free software, will there be anything
left that is good?

I used to be ignorant of the problems when I first started with GNU/Linux and
I believe that many of those who support GNU/Linux don't do enough to promote
the reasons why it all works. I certainly feel that it was not made clear to
me when I was a newbie. I feel that I've come to the freedom party a little
late and I don't want others to be left in the dark.

I came through the very route that you describe - it did me significant harm
and took some time to adjust to the real GNU/Linux structure. I still come
across vestiges of the old proprietary attitude and it can be hard sometimes
to appreciate the finer points, which is why it should be discussed openly on
the list - so that others can raise their own queries and we can all learn
and grow in the free software structure, given to us by the FSF.

--

Neil Williams