Re: [LUG] Free software and users

Neil Williams wrote:

Being paid to write code does not mean the code has to be hidden. e.g. Novell, RedHat, Mandrake.

I realise this... note I said that I applaud those who help people to make a living writing free software.

I could not have been paid to write that code as open source.

Simply untrue. Lots of people are paid to produce free software.

It is not untrue... if you know anywhere that would have paid me to write open source code for an intranet application that produced recipes for ceramic bodies to customer specifications, allowing comparison with competitors prices, as open source I'd love to know about them! Oh, they also use Microsoft software to do this. I may be a fan of open source etc but where in St Austell was I going to earn enough money to afford my rent by writing open source? Nobody would pay me to do it full stop.

I did not say that people cannot be paid to write open source code in general, I said *I* could not have been paid to write the code that I wrote as open source. Also, I am thinking in the present, of what is possible now, not what could be possible if comapnies beleived in the ideas of the FSF.

Yeah, if things changed enormously it would be possible.

That change has already happened. Payment for support is an accepted method of paying for developers, it works. Donations and sponsorship also work, e.g. Debian.

It does not employ many people though does it? Are there any figures of how many people earn a living from free software? I do support that model, I've certainly bought copies of Debian rather than simply download isos myself.

I'm not prepared, nor are enough people, to go through the economic pain
that would be a precursor to economic viability of sharing all code.

Also untrue. You are falling for the lies of the proprietary software houses. I can loan you 'Free Software for a Free Society' if you like, it comprehensively demolishes all your arguments against sharing ALL code.
However, you can always read the contents direct from the FSF site if you prefer. I bought the book to make a contribution to the FSF and GNU Press, not because I couldn't read the content any other way.

I have seen the publication to which you refer and it's something I find perplexing. I admit I've not read it completely but some of the arguments really didn't do it for me. Sorry I cant' give exact examples, was a little while ago and I don't have time atm. Suffice to say it didn't demolish my arguments in my mind.

Looking at the site, I remember "Why "Free Software" is Better Than "Open Source"" well. I'm one who quite passionately beleives the opposite, and RMS's essays really get to me a bit. I much prefer Eric Raymond's pragmatic perspective on things and applaud his "Show them the code! approach to getting people on board open source.