Re: [LUG] Wireless Broadband Router

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 07:18:34PM +0100, Solfius wrote:

would appreciate any guidance or suggestions as to what a good make
or model wireless broadband router would be.

I have a Netgear DG834g which is fine but a bit expensive. DSL
Warehouse offer it at 100 pounds and they are throwing in a WG511
laptop card. Linux compatibility is no bother but it might be with the
wireless adapter. I use a Netgear MA111 (USB) and this comes with a CD
and a driver for Windows so no problem there but for Linux you need
the linux-wlan-ng driver for the prism2 chipset. I got this working
for Red Hat 8 but it was hard work. Mdk 10 says it has a prism2 driver
but when I tried installing Mdk10 (Discovery) on my laptop it failed
to configure the adapter. Btw people keep calling the wireless adapter
a 'card' which confused me no end cos it's a bit of plastic with a led
and not a card at all. There are PCI cards and PCMCIA cards for the
laptop but I don't know what they are like.

Good luck

Tony Sumner