Re: [LUG] Wireless Broadband Router

Solfius wrote:

This would be the first network I've set up, and would appreciate any guidance or suggestions as to what a good make or model wireless broadband router would be.

I can second James' recommendation of netgear DG. I've been through a bunch of adsl routers and modems and these are easily the best. A little more expensive than the bottom end, but very definately worth it.

Avoid, from personal experience:

Dynamode (Crashed often, then after 2 months stopped saving anything to
nvram meaning that you couldn't map any more ports or change the config
in any way, and a last-ditch attempt by flashing the firmware resulted
in a dead modem/router.)

Speedtouch. 330 USB is an utterly horrible thing. It's not a router
though, so not even in your market. I also had a 530 which can be had in
multiport router status I think, and that was ok - apart from a habit of
locking up when it got warm.

But the netgear DG834 gives good impressions from the packaging to the
setup screen. Has proved utterly reliable here for about 4 months, and
I've just ordered another for work. This one isn't wireless (4 port rj45
only) but I understand there's a similar model for wlan.

BTW, for general interest, Speedtouch sell an "adsl/cable internet
router" which is mis-advertised and doesn't have any adsl connectivity.