Re: [LUG] Re: Permissions

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 6:27 am, Richard Brown wrote:
The first problem I have is that I am
using a graphical input to ftp.

Which program?

I am using terminal

?? So which? GUI or terminal? ??

but am unsure of
the commands to use to query for permissions.

With a GUI program, the permissions are displayed in the file listing.

You're looking to set permissions, not just query them. Read the help for the
programs concerned.

I tried Matt's " chmod
777 foldername " but all I got was, access not allowed.

That's a shell command, some terminal ftp clients also support it. In a GUI,
right click the file and select chmod.

Using a graphical interface I find that all permissions are set to read
only for all folders and files.

Richard, you've got to be specific here. Read-only means very little in
GNU/Linux - it could mean -r--r--r-- or -r------- what is the exact string?

I use two ftp programmes.

Which? Specifics, Richard!

The first
advises me that files are set for read only, the second advises me that
the folder is 'owner 56435' and 'group 510' with all read/write/execute
boxes ticked.

Then it's not read only. Do a 'ls -l' listing on your local home folder and
get a handle on permissions. Use the chmod command locally and get used to
what it does.

The numbers for owner and group are not unusual (although off-putting). Those
are simply the numbers for the logged-in user, you, on that server.

Here is UKLInux response to the problem:-

I'm sorry I've never seen this program before and havent got a clue. The
directory is set to 777.

Which would tie in with your 'all boxes ticked' - but please stick to the
permissions, not boxes and ticks.
777 is the same as -rwxrwxrwx for a file or drwxdrwxdrwx for a directory.
755 is set for most directories: drwxr-xr-x
644 is set for most files: -rw-r--r--

Until you understand the differences and what they mean, this whole thing will
get more and more confused.

The numbers come from addition:
Read access = 4
Write access = 2
Execute rights = 1

Each is then repeated for owner first, then group then everyone else.

So 755 reads as:
7 is read, write and execute for the owner.
5 is read and execute for the group and everyone else.
This is a standard directory. The owner (UserID 56435) can write to it but
everyone else can only read it. As far as a script run by Apache is
concerned, this will cause permission to be denied if the script tries to
alter files in the directory. Your directory is 777 so there is no problem
here.

You also need to look at the permissions of the files within the directory. If
they are all set 644, your script could create files but not modify existing
files. That would need relevant files to be 666.

The original enquiry:

Error: MiniGal cannot run!

MiniGal does not have write access to gallery dir. Change gallery dir
chmod to 777 and run script again.

So, what, exactly, is 'dir' and what, precisely, is the permission string for
'dir'?

Have you put 'dir' beneath a more restricted directory? If a higher directory
in the path is set 750 or 700, it's no wonder MiniGal can't find the
directory - it cannot reach it because it's blocked from traversing the path.

We cannot support individual programs perhaps you should contact the
author of the program for support on it

He's probably got a point. It's just not that helpful.

He's got a very good point, your problem is with the script so check the
project website. If MiniGal has an installer, it should have sorted out the
permissions for it's own directories.

I will try and find a non-gui ftp programme to see if that can help.

Read the FTP docs, read the project docs, use chmod locally and ls -l and
understand what's going on. Test your knowledge by connecting to your own box
(ftp to 127.0.0.1) and get used to how to set permissions in each program.

--

Neil Williams