Re: [LUG] Mandrake 10.1 CE-Available For Public Download

I've over-written my Suse bootloader before-it was very upsetting to think of
the poor Gecko thingy trapped in an inaccesible recess of the drive:)

I did actually install Mandrake RC 1 a couple of weeks back.Made the mistake
of downloading it from sunsite.org-perhaps it's just me,but I always end up
in a pickle with anything I get from there.(Yeah,naturally,I don't d/l from
there anymore.Only the German mirrors,now:))

It was a disaster.For the first time ever,I got a security e-mail from root
basically telling me loads of files were world-writable.Most worryingly, some
pertaining to Shorewall.
The whole installation was somehow out of sync-the usual commands did squat to
correct this.Impossible to download any package updates as a result.

Kontact kept opening spontaneously,other apps refused to close down.Suffice to
say,I reformatted almost immediately.It just seemed corrupt beyond
redemption-and when the security alert arrived the following morning,(When I
booted the other PC,to retrieve the night's mail)I was glad I had.

To my mind,there's no way that was anything to do with it being a Beta
version.I mean,truly,it was such a mess,it would never have made it as an
Alpha release.Bleeding edge cooker,maybe:)

Just got unlucky:)

Sadie

Because they don't have to.  Call me cynical!  Since it is _not_ an RC or a
Beta, they don't have to call it so, or even insinuate that it is so.

It shouldn't put you off, though.  With the exception of 9.2, I've found
that Mandrake's main releases (ie non-cooker or RC) are pretty stable.
Certainly very well behaved if you stick to the Mandrake repositories
(Main, Contrib and PLF).

Just as a testament to how resilient I have found Mandrake systems:  When I
installed Lindows (as it was then) it overwrote my Mandrake '/var'
partition (it's a long story).  Mandrake wouldn't boot.  My bro-in-law also
has Mandrake on his machine (albeit he had 10.0 and I am running 9.1), so I
copied the whole of his /var over to mine (booting with Knoppix) over the
LAN.  Restart the machine and it's working pretty well, all things
considering.  The only thing I have lasting problems with is the RPM
database, but that doesn't really matter when installing stuff from source
:D.

In short, I wouldn't worry unduly about the Beta-ness of 10.1ce or
otherwise.

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 01:48:31 +0100