Re: [LUG] Mandrake 10.1 CE-Available For Public Download

On Wednesday 29 Sep 2004 23:22, Grant Sewell wrote:

Many thanks for the review,Grant.I can't wait to install it-it's downloading
now in the background.
Thing is,the commercial version is en-route from Cheep Linux,so,it'll be
interesting to see how they compare.

Reading your words has definately convinced me to reformat the partition
containing Mandrake 10 (on the other PC),and bid it a fond farewell.

Now,which shall I put in the space left - Arch Linux or Turbo Linux
Workstation?

I'm swaying toward Arch...

Sadie

I've been having a play around with it these past couple of days.  It
definitely feels more "complete" than 10.0 ever did.  There are some nice
touches too, like being able to select remote X sessions to log into from
the (MDK)KDM login screen, having easy-to-use (as if it's hard anyway)
controls for starting VNC sessions and connecting to VNC sessions, and also
connecting to Terminal Services/Remote Desktop sessions too.  All good
stuff.

It includes a relatively recent ndiswrapper, which will be _very_ useful
for lappy owners, but as we haven't got around to installing it on my
bro-in-law's laptop yet, I can't say how well this integrates into
Mandrake's "harddrake" thing (thankfully he has a wifi-b nic that refuses
to work with "native" Linux drivers (although they're not really native -
it uses an rtl chipset and the rtl module need hacking, and then it doesn't
actually work (indeed they cause a complete kernel freeze)) so that'll give
us something to play with - and if you can follow all those brackets,
you're a better person than I!).

Comes with Xorg rather than XFree, pretty standard stuff now.

Not tried the "new" package management, but it certainly looks mightily
similar to recent previous Mdk outings.  I just hope it doesn't suffer the
same way that 9.2 and 10.0 did with RPM "signing" - I never could get that
annoying 'error' message to go away!

If the "enhanced" hardware support includes better support for my SCSI card
so I can get some scanning done, I'll be well pleased.

Grant.