Re: [LUG] Mandrake 10.1 CE-Available For Public Download

I've been having a play around with it these past couple of days.  It definitely
feels more "complete" than 10.0 ever did.  There are some nice touches too, like
being able to select remote X sessions to log into from the (MDK)KDM login screen,
having easy-to-use (as if it's hard anyway) controls for starting VNC sessions and
connecting to VNC sessions, and also connecting to Terminal Services/Remote Desktop
sessions too.  All good stuff.

It includes a relatively recent ndiswrapper, which will be _very_ useful for lappy
owners, but as we haven't got around to installing it on my bro-in-law's laptop yet,
I can't say how well this integrates into Mandrake's "harddrake" thing (thankfully
he has a wifi-b nic that refuses to work with "native" Linux drivers (although
they're not really native - it uses an rtl chipset and the rtl module need hacking,
and then it doesn't actually work (indeed they cause a complete kernel freeze)) so
that'll give us something to play with - and if you can follow all those brackets,
you're a better person than I!).

Comes with Xorg rather than XFree, pretty standard stuff now.

Not tried the "new" package management, but it certainly looks mightily similar to
recent previous Mdk outings.  I just hope it doesn't suffer the same way that 9.2
and 10.0 did with RPM "signing" - I never could get that annoying 'error' message to
go away!

If the "enhanced" hardware support includes better support for my SCSI card so I can
get some scanning done, I'll be well pleased.

Grant.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 21:10:49 +0100