Re: [LUG] Modem Drivers-Meet

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 20:45, Julian Hall wrote:
Sadie Brinham wrote:
Further to my previous e-mail concerning the meets.

I understand it is a nightmare finding Linux modem drivers.

Great idea Sadie.  I think your best bet would be to compile a list of
ISPs that support Linux in the area first, then see if you can find out
what modems they support.

I'll phone the blokes,first thing!
Lots of people are with~shudder~Tiscali,and Freeserve,here.
There must be at least 31 in St.Austell with OneTel,looking at the client I.P.
pool.
Would be helpful if everyone posted indications as to which modems their ISPs
are supplying.
ISPs that actually *support* Linux,though-interesting question.OneTel
definately don't.There again,they supply Speedtouch devices.

Cmr:  I'm having trouble logging on today.
Tech:  OK what version of Windows do you have?
Cmr:  I'm running Linux.. Debian.
Tech: I'm sorry we do not support Linux.
*end call*

Welsh ISPs must be far more technically proficient.Irrespective of the
problems you are confronted by,the stock response here is:"Try disabling your
firewall".

After you have that info you ought to be able to download the
drivers/modules for the specific modems you've identified.  It would be
wasteful of your time to download a raft of drivers/modules for Linux
only to find that the people who turn up are with ISPs that don't
support those modems and/or don't have them anyway.

Okey-dokey.I'll get right on it.

Sadie