Re: [LUG] Default Session on Fedora 2

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 7:48 am, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
Hi I was having problems starting a KDE scession by default.

Thanks Neil, I dont think I explained my problem properly,

I think you did, you just haven't thought through the reply.
:-)

When I get to my last screen

last screen of the boot process, yes, the Desktop Manager : DM - it gives a
list of known users and allows you to enter your login and password.

(the log in one) I can log straight into Gnome
or select session from a menu along the bottom.  The system then gives me a
drop down menu allowing me to select from Gnome, KDE, Default and Failsafe.

OK, a decent DM would give you 'Last Time' as well. (And would keep that as
the default). If the DM doesn't do what you want it to do (which it isn't)
then change the DM as per previous message.

If you select KDE, doesn't it offer you the option to use this as the default
for next time?

 It preselects "Default".  Default is allways Gnome.

The KDE DM (naturally called kdm) will tend to favour KDE, predictably.

IIRC, XDM is more neutral, there may be others.

 Logic (Hah!) dictates
I must be able simply (idiotically) to select KDE as my default login.

If the DM doesn't give you the option, you simply change to a different DM.

Also, check the man page (if it has one) for a config file (if it uses one) -
there's a slim chance that you could set the default that way with some DM
programs. It'll be in /etc/ somewhere.

have tried everything

Then use a different program for the same job.

--

Neil Williams