[LUG] Hands up those penguinistas in the Barnstaple area

We're beginning to pin down Barnstaple or environs as pretty high on our relocation list but have no contacts down there. The area seems to have nice cycling for staving off failing health scenario, sea, hillwalking. Hopefully cleaner environment and access to more inspiring exercise opportunities will help improve the current severe health detioration - I'm chemical sensitive to air pollution etc. undoubtedly from exposure to agricultural pesticides as a young farmworker.

My family relocated to Canada from just up the coast two generations back, so there is a bit of irony in my coming to university in the UK and meetig an English lass many years back ... homing instinct like trout or summat coming into effect!

So for contacts methought of fellow penquinistas in dclug...

Any information anyone can pass on about what its like in the area for young kids (7 and 2) and two "elderly" parents in our late 40s/early 50s?
Where to go for a house in the area? What good schools - my 7 yr old is seriously bright and the 2 yr old seems the same.
Where to avoid?
In town or out of town? My dodgy health can limit my mobility re car driving so am reluctant to be totally dependent upon motoring to access services. Nor if one takes the 20 year timeline is this necessarily wise!
Like minded people (tekky greenies us is, into folk music, wife is a dancer, me into theatre etc)?
What sort of things can an early-retired 50 year old with pretensions to being an intellectual do to keep himself sane?
What sort of part time work, preferably at "professional level" for partner who wants to carry on but not full time (she's been part-time for some years since my health packed up and I had to quit work as I can't be relied upon to be always fit enough to manage kids full time on my own).
On the brain maintenance front and to help out with pin money I wouldn't be adverse to assisting with non-deadlined small systems support/repair/networking if anyone needs someone on an occassional basis. Or anything else - I'm an arts-science crossover type who's done everything from farming, fishing, running theatre groups, through cooperative and community development, via international science-based pressure group campaigns and running large IT support depts taking in various excursions into academia on the way (I'm actually a qualified Town Planner as a fall-out from my last academic sojourn working in local economic development of rural/small town areas!). Yeah, who needs "a career" anyway?

Thanks for the help and apols for going OT - but then, hey, the object of networking is to create a community where we can all help each other out, and we need a bit of help now... so if there is a chat forum for dclug point me to it. Or listmaster set one up??

Malcolm