Re: [LUG] Debian masterclass in Devon??

Simon Waters wrote:
Last year it seemed that even keeping abreast of major GNU/Linux distros
was beyond the wit of all but professional industry watchers.

This year I feel the same way about Debian, and it's derivatives.

Indeed, I've stuck with the testing flavour of Debian but have noticed all these debian based jobs popping up everywhere.

I want others to say what they want to try in this area!

It's a shame this didn't happen a year ago. Back then I had and played around with an SGI Indy and Sun SparcStation 10 & 20 which all received Debian. It was interesting learning about booting them from a network with rarp and tftp etc and installing using my PC as a serial console. The SGI and SUN PROM monitors are so much more featureful and complex than the PC BIOS and all the machines had their own little quirks. All old gear, but different, interesting and fun whilst I had it.

Unfortunately I don't have space now for much in the way of computer gear and my fiancee wouldn't like me buying "old wrecks of computers" from ebay :-)

DT