Re: [LUG] Connecting to the internet

On Monday 23 Aug 2004 10:56, aaronmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yesterday I connected to BTinternet with a dial up modem, but however hard I
try I can only use windows and all my work stuff is on the linux
partition.

I am using Suse 9.1 with a 3Com U.S. Robotics 56K Voice
Faxmoden.  I try entering the phone No. password and email/username they
gave but the moden just dies.

Can any one help? Is there a better alternative? Or have I

What program are you using to connect to the internet something like kppp or
are you manually configuring ppp? Can you provide any more information, I
assume the modem is dialling and negotiating a connection then it is during
the ppp handshake(just after the speaker turns off) that the problems are
stating? Check the authentication method selected, BT (and most ISPs) use
CHAP make sure PAP is not selected. Are there any options to turn on debug?
if so turn it on then after the problem either the log will appear or you
will need to look at /var/log/syslog or /var/log/ppp/? (not sure what). The
command 'tail /var/log/sysylog -n50' will show the last 50 lines of syslog
for instance.

Best Regards

Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx