Re: [LUG] Connecting to the internet

Hi

Welcome to the dclug.

Before going too far down the line of dialup,  can you afford to go over to
ADSL,  as that would probably save a lot of hassle.

What part of devon / cornwall are you in,  perhaps there is someone local who
can help.  I have an old dial up modem somewhere,  which works under Linux,
if you do a search on the lug archive then there was a whole thread on
getting mine to work, i posted a summary to the lug, to help other users.  I
am in Paignton, (torbay).

I can't remember off the top of my head how to set things, up,

among other things (mainly comments) my /etc/resolv.conf file contains

nameserver ip address
nameserver ip address

for each of 2 addresses i was given by my isp,  I am however using dhcp hence
the other notes in there, AFAIK thats all that was in that file when I used
dial up,  which was at least 18 months ago,

if you want a reliable connection I would go for ADSL but choose your
supplier, as some have download limits,  I use zen.co.uk and they don't have
limits. And are pretty fast.  Some of there engineer people also use Linux
which is good to know should I ever need it,  which so far I have not really
needed to contact support only over a few hosting issues.

While download limits may be fine for some users, if you intend to download a
set of debian iso's,  which would work out at at least 6 x 650/700mb images
you soon go way over the limit,  and it could take months to download a whole
distro.

Sorry I can be much help from a modem / technical point of view.

paul