Re: [LUG] part of the ecology

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 1:19, Matt Lee wrote:
On 11 Aug 2004, at 01:00, Neil Williams wrote:
There is already a Linux and Business section on DCLUG
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/business.html

Could the link be updated?

I'll update it in a mo.

I'm not keen that we promote companies that promote proprietary
software - what do others feel about this? I think we should offer our
support to free software only.

Specifics Matt?

The LUG has always supported migration and tools that make GNU/Linux more
attractive and sometimes that means introducing people to software that can
run on multiple platforms. (Get the staff used to things like Mozilla on
their current platform means one less change when they move to GNU/Linux.)
Some of the companies that produce migration tools or multi-platform
applications are going to offer windows executables and other MS
implementations in other areas of their output. If the company is the size of
IBM, the fact that they also produce proprietary software should not reduce
the importance of their GNU/Linux support. I feel that provided that the
output is GNU/GPL compatible, that program/app can be supported.

Comments?

--

Neil Williams