RE: [LUG] Server intrusions

Julian Hall wrote :
From a simple grunt's point of view (read callcentre senior
tech ;)) I would have thought it was more to the point to
write reports on successful attacks.  The point being that
otherwise all the report writer is doing is saying "yes it's
working" in a rather long-winded fashion.  The only point I
can really see is that where a new patch has been applied or
a new configuration is being trialled to either prove or
disprove its' usefulness.

If however a successful attack is being documented then the
writer is essentially writing a business plan to say "I need
money to buy X Y and Z to stop this happening again".

Probably too simplistic a viewpoint :)

Kind regards,

Julian

We write reports saying that we get 25 unsuccessful hacking attempts a
second in a vain attmpt to convince senior management that we are actually
worth employing. And so that when something does, on the odd occasion, get
through, folk keep it in perspective. Likewise for spam.

It's more like counselling than system administration, but career
diversification is a good thing in this post-bubble day and age :)

Martin