Re: [LUG] Linux network monitoring tools

On 2004.08.10 11:10 Kelly Jones wrote:
I look after the I.T needs of several small businesses in the area and
need to monitor their routers, web servers etc and alert me via email
or
text message if they go down.  Is there a suitable free solution for
Linux?

I have looked at Big Brother and some others but these appear to be a
bit much for my needs, are there any other light weight alternatives?

Hi,

There is a pay for reports version at http://www.alertsite.com/server_monitoring.shtml which would mean you don't need to run the service yourself.
Also, if you have access to install software on the clients machines SIM is very good at self diagnosis and remedial action - http://www.rfxnetworks.net/sim.php
Windows machines are different of course, so you would need a seperate program there.
Both of tha last options rely on the network being "up" of course.
Lastly, you might try looking at this - http://www.nagios.org/ - seems to fit the bill quite nicely (for free ;-)

alan