Re: [LUG] Mail server

Excellent summary Simon, worthy of any FAQ.

One other thing that would sway my choice at the moment is support for
Greylisting and delegation of policy decisions to an external service.
For those that have no spam problems, this is unlikely to be an issue,
whist for those who do have to process large volumes of junk, it's
heaven sent.

Steve

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 12:34:32PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
Alasdair Cunningham-Smith wrote:
| Well - the issue I have is being overwhelmed with advice. My cup runneth
| over; I have an embarrassment of riches from which to choose. Can anyone
| offer (links to) an objective discussion on the merits of:
|  * sendmail
|  * postfix
|  * qmail
|  * exim
|  * (others as yet not mentioned)

Objective? Nah not seen any. I don't think there are many objective
software tests that are of much use outside code quality assurance and I
fear qmail would win that hands down, but that doesn't necessarily make
it "better to use". Besides I'm not sure how you objectively measure
things like "author attitude", which might affect your decision (let us
say the author of one of these doesn't suffer fools gladly, and as a
very bright chap the world must seem very full of fools to him).

<snip>