Re: [LUG] Mail server

Steve Crook wrote:

| One other thing that would sway my choice at the moment is support for
| Greylisting and delegation of policy decisions to an external service.
| For those that have no spam problems, this is unlikely to be an issue,
| whist for those who do have to process large volumes of junk, it's
| heaven sent.

I think Exim now has greylisting, but it is hard to keep abreast of the
different mode and methods available to fight spam across all the MTAs.
And again it is not just do they do it, but do they do it well, and is
it easy to configure.

Certainly Postfix has comprehensive, but (for Postfix) slightly arcane
syntax, facilities for handing email off to external filters (which it
can now do before or after queuing to disk -- which matters because it
affects whether you reject email at SMTP transaction time (which may
mean no bounce - i.e. sending MTA creates bounce) or if the receiving
MTA creates bounce). But then I can reject all Windows executables in
Postfix with a one line regular expression, so why trouble inserting a
virus filter. Similarly the "arcane" syntax tends to be the same for
each module, so you can "cut and paste" the configuration changes you
need most of the time.

I think Qmail does worse than the others here, as this is usually some
sort of patch.

Greylisting can be done by third party daemon that sits in front of the
MTA, like greylistd(?), so can be done by any MTA. Greylisting of course
is specifically open to attack by spambots that use an appropriate
algorithmn, and I've heard of false positives penalising overly keen
mail servers. So whilst it probably works well at reducing spam I'm
still a bit cautious.

I'm in two minds as to which is the best approach to add-on features
like these. Part of me thinks it should be built into the MTA to provide
the most integrated response, part of me believes it is smarter to move
these into third party modules, whether before, after, or hooked into
the MTA.

But then I'm running SMTP AUTH via a daemon, which I think is a smart
solution even if the specific daemon has issues, compared to integrating
it into the MTA (almost all MTAs provide SMTP AUTH as standard, but they
may not as readily support PAM or other authentication methods).

I also think SMTP over SSL is smarter than putting the encryption into
the email conversation (for submission) whatever the standards say. SMTP
over SSL can be done through stunnel as a daemon, allowing a plain text
alternative for debugging, although it does of course require a client
configuration change to use the SMTP over SSL port. Of course to do it
between MTAs requires the encryption as part of the protocol, but that
is a different problem.

Unfortunately as the SMTP protocol gets more sophisticated our chances
of getting away with layering technologies via modules will diminish I
fear, and we'll be left with huge bloats MTAs that can't successfully
send email to each other, and which we can't debug because it is all
encrypted or hashed :(