Re: [LUG] ident: IRC and Linux

On Tuesday 03 Aug 2004 00:35, Simon Waters wrote:

I'm no IRC expert, but I'd say ignore ident and figure out how to get
the IRC client to authenticate you.

Port 113 is right, but the most I've ever done with ident if make
firewalls return "firewall user" (or similar bland reply).

IMHO the best thing to do is to firewall port 113 with a REJECT so that any
thing attempting to do an ident will see its packets rejected and not bother
with ident. If you DROP the packets the server in question can sometimes not
like this and refuse connection totally. Have a look at
http://www.grc.com/port_113.htm for some info.

Robin Cornelius