Re: [LUG] Problems with Evolution

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 8:05, Peter James wrote:
On Wednesday 28 July 2004 19:14, John Daragon wrote:
See my previous response - all of these files are read-only because you
copied them from CD.

So, forgive my ignorance.  Is the solution to just use "chmod" and change
the permissions accordingly?

Once they are copied off CD, yes. Alternatively, copy the files into a tarball
(.tar.gz) and copy that to CD. Then when you uncompress the tarball, usable
permissions will be set by most default GNU/Linux installations.

man tar
example:
tar -czf foobar_tarball.tar.gz foo/bar/foo

Also, please read the email-etiquette page on the DCLUG wiki about not quoting
the entire message - please snip parts of the reply that are not relevant to
your contribution.

--

Neil Williams