Re: [LUG] Problems with Evolution

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 7:45, Peter James wrote:
ls -ld //home/peter/evolution/local/inbox/inbox

peter@xxxxx:~/evolution/local/Inbox> ls -ld

local/inbox/inbox is NOT the same as local/inbox/Inbox

Folder names ARE case sensitive. You are not comparing the same thing! The
permissions on Inbox are completely irrelevant because you have asked
Evolution to use inbox - (which might not even exist). OK, you can argue that
Evolution should be more explicit and more helpful by saying the inbox
doesn't exist but that doesn't change the fact that you have been given the
probable answer.

You are in a directory Inbox and its looking for inbox, does that help?
(capital I)

Not really.

Of course it helps, it's probably the answer.
:-)

I am at a total loss here, and if none of the "gurus" on this
group can't solve it, I'm sure I can't.

Learn. Be careful copying commands from lists, there have been instances in
the last few days where the correct answer has been corrupted just because
the enquirer has not bothered to READ the command properly. Use a larger
message body font and READ the line. You won't learn anything if you use copy
and paste, READ it.

My query about the // was, that this is not normal, it shouldn't matter
but I have seen coding that breaks with this sort thing.

Usually bad code, but yes, it can break. Evolution had a reputation for bad
code too. Haven't used it for >2 years so can't say what it's like now.

Someone on this group did suggest copying the backup files to the HD in a
temp folder and dealing with the permissions and then copying to Evolution.
 Is this a valid suggestion?

Far more sensible to use tar because it allows you to save and restore the
permissions. Read the manpage: man tar

--

Neil Williams