[LUG] Battery Monitoring on laptop

Hi All,

Having finally got Mandrake 9.1 installed and running (nicely it has t
be said) on my laptop I have one remaining niggle (with that machine
anyway ;))

The OS does not recognise that it has a battery.  Ergo it not charging
it.  This works perfectly OK in Windows, so I sure it's not a hardware
error.

Last night I checked Google and one site recommended uninstalling PCM
and installing the ACPI modules and making sure the kernel was
configured for ACPI.  Apparently the two won't play nicely on the same
PC.  I installed the ACPI bts from the MDK CDs, updated the kernel for
the ACPI settings and ran 'make symlinks dep' afterwards.

In the process *losing* the taskbar icon I had giving me the Power
status (although previously all it had really said was "What battery?"
so it wasn't doing *much* good).  Presumably that went when I
uninstalled PCM?

Does anyone have suggestions please to make sure MDK is seeing my
battery and bothering to charge it?  Normally the LED flickers when it's
charging, but it's off now.

Kind regards,

Julian