[LUG] Creating SVCD's

Hi, I hope someone can help. I am attempting to create a SVCD from a file from
a capture card. My capture card captures with the following specs :-

 Duration: 00:26:01.6, bitrate: 10511 kb/s
 Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x576, 25.00 fps, 15000 kb/s
 Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s

As far as i can tell SVCD format requires mpeg2 video at 480x576 , 25FPS,
audio mpeg2-layer1 and the combined audio and video bitrates must not exceed
2756 kbps.

I have googled around and tried lots of utilities and command line options but
have got nowhere. transcode looked very promising but it seems to stop
processing the file after a few minutes with no error messages. ffmpeg will
transcode the file into other formats very well but when transcodeing down to
the svcd spec it prodces a file that will play in mplayer etc fine but
vcdimager rejects it with "input mpeg stream has been deemed invalid --
aborting"

I want to use SVCD to play on my DVD player,so divx is out and i don't have a
DVD burner here so proper DVD is out.

Anybody know anything about this kind of stuff?

Many thanks

Robin