Re: [LUG] Samba on MDK 10

On Sunday 18 Jul 2004 13:32, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

Problem with Samba.  This is a friend's home network running Windows 98
(*2) and Linux (MDK 10) (*1).  The machines can all ping each other and the
Windows machines will network properly (file sharing etc).

However the Linux box cannot see the Windows boxes in Samba and they can't
see the Linux box.  The permissions and shares in Linux are setup
identically to mine at home which works.  He even has the same network name
as I do, because when we started out it seemed the best way for my laptop
to retain compatibility with his system.

So, ping works by IP, but not by machine name.  All protocols are
installed, ie IPX/SPX. NetBEUI and TCP/IP.  Also we networked my laptop
last week to play UT2K3 over the network so connectivity is fine.

Ping works, good that shows the basic network is working ok.IPX/SPX is not
needed for this (it is for Novel servers?). I don't think that NetBEUI is
strictly needed but it should not hurt to have the protocols avaiable they
just won't be used.

ping by machine name is to do with DNS not samba names. If you want to ping
my machine names the quickest way is to add entries in to the /etc/hosts file
(on windows 98 the hosts file should be placed as  c:\windows\hosts ) eg :-

192.168.0.1 linuxbox1.mynetwork.com linuxbox1
192.168.0.2 windowsbox1.mynetwork.com.windowsbox1

It is a good idea to have either DNS or the hosts file set up as this can
cause problems or delays without it.

Are all three systems set to use the same workgroup (THIS IS IMPORTANT), i
often use "OFFICE" as the workgroup, don't use domains (you can play with
this later if you like but it isn't very useful with W98 clients). On the
windows boxes make sure that both win98 clients have the browse master option
set to off or disable(that is some where in the network connection windows to
do with file and printer sharing if i remember). Also make sure samba is set
as a master browser

domain master = yes
local master = yes
prefered master = yes

you may also wish to set security = share to make samba behave very much like
windows 98 does. You can change this to security = user in the future if you
want to set up logons and home directories etc.Thats about it for the minute,
Also watch the /var/log/samba/* logs for errors etc.

Robin