[LUG] Samba on MDK 10

Hi All,

Problem with Samba.  This is a friend's home network running Windows 98 (*2)
and Linux (MDK 10) (*1).  The machines can all ping each other and the
Windows machines will network properly (file sharing etc).

However the Linux box cannot see the Windows boxes in Samba and they can't
see the Linux box.  The permissions and shares in Linux are setup
identically to mine at home which works.  He even has the same network name
as I do, because when we started out it seemed the best way for my laptop to
retain compatibility with his system.

So, ping works by IP, but not by machine name.  All protocols are installed,
ie IPX/SPX. NetBEUI and TCP/IP.  Also we networked my laptop last week to
play UT2K3 over the network so connectivity is fine.

Any suggestions welcome please :)

Kind regards,

Julian
---