RE: [LUG] Samba on MDK 10

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Robin Cornelius
Sent: 18 July 2004 14:36
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Samba on MDK 10

IPX/SPX is not
needed for this (it is for Novel servers?). I don't think that NetBEUI is
strictly needed but it should not hurt to have the protocols
avaiable they just won't be used.

Thought not :) And no it is not for Novell :)

 ping by machine name is to do with DNS not samba names. If you
want to ping
my machine names the quickest way is to add entries in to the
/etc/hosts file
(on windows 98 the hosts file should be placed as
c:\windows\hosts ) eg :-

192.168.0.1 linuxbox1.mynetwork.com linuxbox1
192.168.0.2 windowsbox1.mynetwork.com.windowsbox1

It is a good idea to have either DNS or the hosts file set up as this can
cause problems or delays without it.

Fair enough, thanks :)

Are all three systems set to use the same workgroup

Yep, as per my original email, we set them up for the same workgroup, mainly
because we wanted compatibility.

On the
windows boxes make sure that both win98 clients have the browse
master option
set to off or disable(that is some where in the network
connection windows to
do with file and printer sharing if i remember). Also make sure
samba is set
as a master browser

domain master = yes
local master = yes
prefered master = yes

you may also wish to set security = share to make samba behave
very much like
windows 98 does.

Already done but thanks for the reminder :)

Also watch the /var/log/samba/* logs for errors etc.

Thanks, I'll ask him to check there.

Kind regards,

Julian
---