Re: [LUG] Linux on (oldworld) PPC?

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:49:56 +0100
Grant Sewell <dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Me again!  All seems to be going well with the Debian PPC install.  A few teething
problems, but nothing too bad.  Boots fine from the floppies supplied on the CDs.
Wouldn't recognise the swap or ext2 partitions I created with (mac-)fdisk, at all,
in any way shape or form.  When I mkfs.ext2ed, however, I was given a stupidly
high inode count, which it obviously never reached.  Bells started ringing!
Anyho, dded /dev/zero to /dev/hda, then badblocked it and all seems to be fine.
Install now recognised the partitions I create on it.  Yipee.  All I have to do
now is figure out how to get quik installed and working nicely.

Well, just to keep everyone informed, it would appear that the problem is not with
quik, it is with Apple's Open Firmware.  Can I figure out how to get it to boot from
hda2?  Can I heck!  Anyway, I've popped a question onto Apple's "legacy hardware"
support forum, and hopefully I'll get a response soon.  Bloody things!  Why not have
a sensible BIOS instead? :D

Cheers all.

G.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.