Re: [LUG] Hostname woes

Julian Hall wrote:
On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 13:43, Mark Evans wrote:

Can't you switch off the DHCP server or tell it that certain IP addresses are reserved. If it's designed sensibly it won't attempt
to assign an IP address which is already in use on the network.

Hi Mark,

I tried turning off DHCP before and eth0 on both machines refused to
initialise.

If you turn of DHCP you need to reconfigure your machines to use a specific IP address rather than trying to look for a DHCP server. The details of how you do this vary quite a bit between distributions.

You probably don't want to do that, if there is any wireless networking involved you really don't want to do that.
Something like "/home/julian 192.168.1.* (rw)" or "/home/julian 192.168.1.N (rw)"

There is no wireless involved at all thankfully (there was going to be
but happily I found a wired router with the print server at the 11th
hour).

I did not know you could put an IP address in the /etc/exports file. What effect does that have exactly? Is it saying "PCs with this IP
range have access and nobody else"?

An IP address means use this IP address, a hostname means use any IP addresses associated with that hostname. If you do "man exports" the format of this file is explained.

I'm completely confused now, because the laptop is off and when I went
to look in Mandrake Control Panel at my NFS mounts, in the servers I had
192.168.1.3 *and* natalie.tartarus.  For one thing I do not have the
foggiest idea how the system has suddenly decided to accept the hostname
natalie.tartarus, and secondly why on earth it is natalie.tartarus and

Any idea where the tartarus bit is coming from?

not just natalie??

my /etc/hosts file has the following:

127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.2  natalie.tartarus      natalie

Is this happening because I still have the DHCP server turned on, so the
server is assigning the IP address 192.168.1.3 and I am independently
telling the system "no the IP address is 192.168.1.2"?

If you are doing this through the MDK control panel then that should not be the case. Possibly the DHCP client was altering the hosts file...