Re: [LUG] Hostname woes

Hi Simon,

I tried to set the IP addresses as static using ifconfig eth0 <IP
address>, and disable DHCP in the router issuing Dynamic addresses.
Also added both machines into /etc/hosts.  Then eth0 refused to
initialise on both machines, so I put it back as it  was.

If I can get the hostname to stick past a reboot I will be happy.  The
problem is that I have looked online and every time the question is
asked on a website, someone says a different file to update.

So far I have edited four files and it still won't stick.  One guy said
to edit three files, two of which I don't even have!

I've seen the message "setting hostname to localhost" in the boot
sequence, so somewhere there is a file with that setting.  If you (or
anyone) could tell me which file that is I would be very grateful.

On a related issue, I sometimes get "RPC: program not registered" during
boot and NFS dies.  Why would that be?

Kind regards,

Julian