Re: [LUG] howto setup link from palm to gnome-pilot?

On Monday 14 June 2004 6:04, dave morgan wrote:
As part of my on-going attempt to transfer all my app's from my
(dying) windows98 box to linux[1], I am attempting to connect up my
Sony Clie (Palm OS5), but it looks like the /dev/cradle link needs

I use /dev/pilot but it's the same thing. Check your dmesg reports before and
after requesting a HotSync on the PDA. I use a Palm Tungsten E with Palm OS5
and pilot-link with KPilot and JPilot. My Palm requests two
connections, /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 but 0 seems to be only a control
channel and doesn't allow / create data streams. So my /dev/pilot is a
symlink to /dev/ttyUSB1
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/cradle

setting
(it is connecting via usb), any suggestions how to do this? I have no
experience with linux usb at all.

Make sure you've got USB working - you may need these (as root):
# modprobe usb-storage
# modprobe visor

This should appear in dmesg, somewhere:
visor.c: USB HandSpring Visor, Palm m50x, Treo, Sony Clié driver v1.7

Use dmesg | grep visor

You may need to add this to your /etc/modules or similar if it isn't loaded at
boot time.

debian (testing) box, vanilla linux 2.6.6 kernel

[footnote 1: as I *have* to be able to run Abbyy FineReader 7.0Pro,
and I have an Epson 3170 scanner it looks like I will be forced to get
a replacement Windows box anyhow :-(]

Try installing a recent wine snapshot using apt and then install the
FineReader program.

http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=Epson&model=3170&bus=usb

Your scanner does appear to be unsupported still. Sadly.
Perhaps a new scanner is a better buy than a new / replacement box?

best regards
Dave

--

Neil Williams