Re: [LUG] Cornwall Health Informatic Service moves to Novell/Linux

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:38:47PM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
For me what matters is that my skills become more useful as more
applications run on a platform that I know and can earn a living from --
if those applications, tools and stuff become more open so that I can
script or interface fairly easily from open source tools that is even
better, and when applications move to an OSS platform that usually happens
eventually even if the OSS hackers have to write it themselves.

Right now I am pragmatic. :)

For example I don't want my skills to stamped with Websphere
certification and then go for a job requiring 5yrs Websphere experience.

And it's quite difficult to know what Websphere actually is (Suse last
time I checked with some Java crap thrown in), without signing a bunch
of NDAs and handing over sacks of money.

Licensing costs are inconsequential.