[LUG] Virus checking linux server

At my workplace we have until now been a microsoft only organisation
(apart from me that is).  A colleague of mine has been asked to install a
Linux server which will be internet visible to run Apache Mysql and PHP.
He is going to use SUSE 9.1 pro to do this and I have given standard
security advice, i.e. don't run any services which you don't need and
install all security updates asap.  His boss is insisting that he
purchase and install a virus scanner for the machine - just like they do
with the NT servers.

I am not skilled with Linux server installation and my colleague is new to
Linux.  Could anyone suggest what advice I might offer him?

Tony