Re: [LUG] Cornwall Health Informatic Service moves to Novell/Linux

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Kai Hendry wrote:
So Novell are porting their tired networking protocols over to the Linux
platform. But will they be "open"?

Not just that - they have already opened Ximian Connector, and are
probably likely to open up other stuff. Novell should be able to do what
Scaldera failed at - leveraging a large reseller, certified and services
based company to sell open source solutions.

I see them as taking on IBM, not with huge monololithic vertical
integration like websphere and the like but more with UNIXy frameworks
that fit in quickly and easily using open or closed/legacy.

They really should be using openldap and exim/postfix.  Running
proprietary applications(and protocols) on Linux isn't that exciting.

Novell ships some decent tools and does LDAP, etc pretty well.
Considering that most of what you pay for the system will be support
rather than licensing and that CCC, etc don't have any inhouse coders open
source doesn't provide any benefits (other thank avoiding some vendor lock
in) that they would be interested in.

It is quite exciting because it provides yet more applications that you
can run on Linux. As much as I would like to see everything open source,
tomorrow, I and probably 99.9% of businesses want to be able to run
anything they want on Linux. Being able to move your old Netware based
system to Linux from DOS/Netware without losing settings, and migrating
from exchange on windows to Linux and Groupwise in a matter of days is
pretty exciting.

For me what matters is that my skills become more useful as more
applications run on a platform that I know and can earn a living from --
if those applications, tools and stuff become more open so that I can
script or interface fairly easily from open source tools that is even
better, and when applications move to an OSS platform that usually happens
eventually even if the OSS hackers have to write it themselves.

cheers,

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena - Perl Hacker, Kung Fu Geek, Internet Consultant
AutoDia --- Automatic UML and HTML Specifications from Perl, C++