CD player was Re: [LUG] Which Distribution - Debian

Solfius wrote:

| (Actually, are there any programs that let you play music cds on
| Debian/Linux? I'm still without a working hi-fi...)

First rule in the Debian way....

There are thousands of packages, and no one knows them all....

So we use "apt-cache search" to find what we want....

Unfortunately there are rather a lot of packages related to CD reading,
playing and such like.

Me I use kscd, because I use KDE as my Window manager, and it was the
first one that I tried.

srw@xxxxx:~$ apt-cache search cd | grep player

cccd - A small GTK+ CD player program
groovycd - A ncurse based CD player.
libxine0 - the xine video/media player library, binary files
quadra - multiplayer puzzle game
wmcdplay - A CD player based on ascd designed for WindowMaker
alsaplayer - PCM player designed for ALSA
alsaplayer-alsa - PCM player designed for ALSA (ALSA output module)
alsaplayer-common - PCM player designed for ALSA (common files)
alsaplayer-daemon - PCM player designed for ALSA (non-interactive version)
alsaplayer-esd - PCM player designed for ALSA (ESD output module)
alsaplayer-gtk - PCM player designed for ALSA (GTK version)
alsaplayer-jack - PCM player designed for ALSA (jack output module)
alsaplayer-nas - PCM player designed for ALSA (NAS output module)
alsaplayer-oss - PCM player designed for ALSA (OSS output module)
alsaplayer-text - PCM player designed for ALSA (text version)
alsaplayer-xosd - PCM player designed for ALSA (osd version)
ascd - CD player and mixer
cdcd - command line or console based CD player
cdtool - text-based audio CD player and CD-ROM control commands
dcd - Command-line CD player
digitaldj - An SQL based mp3 player front-end
gxine - the xine video player, GTK user interface
kcd - a CD player applet for KDE Kicker
kscd - KDE based cd player
libalsaplayer-dev - PCM player designed for ALSA (interface library,
development files)
libalsaplayer0 - PCM player designed for ALSA (interface library)
mctools-lite - A CD player and audio mixer for X
splay - Sound player for MPEG-1,2 layer 1,2,3
tcd - a CD player with an ncurses interface
workbone - A simple text-based CD player
xine-ui - the xine video player, user interface
xmcd - X11 based CD player
xmms - Versatile X audio player that looks like Winamp
grip - GNOME-based CD-player/ripper/encoder
libxine-dev - the xine video player library, development packages
libxine1 - the xine video/media player library, binary files
mcdp - Small console cd player
rhythmbox - music player and organizer for GNOME
totem - A simple media player for the Gnome desktop based on xine
vlc - multimedia player for all audio and video formats

As you can see various graphical and text based CD players. ncurses is a
text based interface. You probably want something labelled KDE, or GNONE
or X11 unless you like text interfaces....

If it looks confusing type "apt-get install kscd" and see if it works.

The tricky bit in the old Debian install was getting the right "sources"
entries for apt - this is now easy - but I think it is still a separate
step after installation is finished.