[LUG] software patents - a set of questions

If I owned a patent on an algorithm to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit and
visa versa, would you have to pay me royalties in order to use it in you
spreadsheet ?

If the spread sheet supplier created an function CtoF for example that used
the formula, under licence from me, but you preferred to use the formula
directly would you be in violation (even though patent royalties where
covered in the provided function) ?

I suspect you would have to pay the royalties, but does anyone know the full
ramifications of such ? For example could it be thrown out on Public Domain
grounds even if I held a legitimate patent ?

And if so could  I (putting my white hat on now) be sneaky and publish a
whole load of patented algorithms on the Web (thus making them public
domain) and thus nullify the whole patent issue ?

Yes I accept the last point would lead to my prosecution but then you would
all help me pay the fine / visit me in jail if I did this for the common
good (justice and freedom) right ?

And most absurd question of all, if I owned the patent of something and then
made it public domain myself could I be prosecuted ? I guess only if I
brought a case against myself but I just don't know where the law stands !

RFC please

Surely if the above could be demonstrated to the general public as an
example of how stupid things could get then this would activate the public
interest into doing something ..... possibly ?

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council