Re: [LUG] How to set up wi-fi card?

iwconfig essid any
iwconfig channel 2
echo "iface wlan0 inet dhcp" >> /etc/network/interfaces
ifconfig wlan0 up

Typing "iwconfig" with no options confirms that the settings have been
honoured and also that the device seems to have a "Cell" where
previously it did not.  Has it picked this up from the Access Point?

However, less promisingly, it reports a signal strength of zero :-(  I
tried the obvious and still no change.  Shall I assume that it is lying
and forge ahead anyway?

Check that you have set the card to managed NOT ad-hoc mode, managed means the
card will look for an access points ad-hoc is where any 802.11b stuff can
appear as a peer node, thats where the cell address come in. Some
drivers/hardware does not support signal strength monitoring anyway. Also
check that initaly WEP is off at both ends (until everything is working at
least) and check that there are no access restrictions on the acces point
such as MAC address filtering etc.

I gather that I need to set a "route" via the wi-fi interface.  This is
what I currently have:
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0 default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
0 eth0

I'm guessing that I should be aiming for something very similar for
wlan0.  Would it be possible to have both routes, so that it only uses
wireless if eth0 is unplugged?

yes you need to set up the interface with ifconfig or ifcfg etc, this info
should eventualy go in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0. Note sure
how to set up so that wlan0 appears as a fall back if eth0 is not there.
there are lots of up down scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ so each
interface can do what it needs to do, may be a bit of hacing in here?

Robin