[LUG] knoppix | advocacy | offering my help

On knoppix:

Not forgetting KNoppix is debian based so you could say better package
management than SuSE.. not wanting to start a fight about that though

Also, knoppix can install to hard drive; knx-hdinstall i think is the
command, but watch you don't blow the lot.

On linux argument:

"I found the argument advnaced a while ago that while the tendency in
Linux was to modularise, separating functions so far as possible and
tending to be more replaceable, interchangeable and maintainable -"

- see The Unix Philosopy; http://cbbrowne.com/info/unix.html

On advocacy:

I feel that while I'm still no expert, primarily because I don't program.
I've lost my ability to empathise with what it used to be like to not know
anything. It ther's a problem these days I know how to find out how to fix
it, or trick people in to telling me the answer.
- so for this reason I feel I'm not so useful in explaining why linux is
great.

I'm not 100% sure it's a good idea to go out and promote linux. It feels
like a religous crusader. I'd rather just let the secret out to those I
know and feel deserve it. All in all I feel there are pros and cons to
more linux users; i.e. more people joining freenode and saying "Help me I
have a problem", more dDos attacks and so forth; good and bad are
attracted, more critical mass = more trouble too.
I would prefer to play a supporting role to those who require it rather
than enforce an opinion.

I am a very agnostic / indifferent person but what I am sure of I fight
for strongly; i.e. the right to choose linux rather than promoting it.

If anyone has any question on linux that doesn't really involve something
along the lines of:

"What's wrong with this sed expressions"
or
"This C++ routine is messed up"

- I'll help straight away. In fact I'm tempted to put my phone number up
here. If I had a hands free I might.