[LUG] Q's: Scanning & Cups

(The cups problem is a bit more basic so might want to scroll down)

1) Scanning. Anyone using USB and thinking of 2.6 may find some of this
stuff useful for the future:

I don't know if any of you guys have tried scanning on the 2.6 kernel but
it's proving a nightmare for me.
Basically they've removed the scanner.o module so everything has to go
through "libusb"; something I belatently found out had to be installed;
it's a seporate package, aha! This means that instead of having say,
/dev/scanner, you just have /proc/bus/usb/*

This is fine but to get the permissions on /proc/bus/usb setup so users
can access the scanner you usually use something called hotplug.
Basically this thing watches the USB bus - When you plug something in it
runs a set of scripts in /etc/hotplug.d/whatever to set the permissions
on say, /proc/bus/usb/001/001 so that users can get to the scanner. Now,
the Sane people thankfully provide a script ready done; nice.
Unfortunately sticking this in /etc/hotplug.d/ causes
"/etc/init.d/hotplug restart" to print stuff out to the console rather
than doing it's stuff. The fix is supposed to be upgrade hotplug.
Unfortunately this didn't help.

So now I'm thinking of making a kludge / blodge fix to sort things. I
thought I could run a script on startup to set the permissions? As long as
I don't unplug the scanner while on, it should be fine. What's the way to
do this safely though? - chown user:users /proc/bus/? in
/etc/init/local.start?

I have to say that hotplug has been driving me mad. It sounds cool at
first until you try to use it. I can't figure out how it does what it
does; specifically what script relates to what and if there's binary
packages that do things in between thus confusing me.

2) Cups. Ok, this one's simpler. Basically:

- everything's printing very, very light.
- but it's ok in Windows.
- have tried destroying all /etc/cups and $HOME/.cups type stuff and
reinstall cups from source but it's still the same!

What more can I do?

I've tried asking the mailing lists etc (it's been slow), but I wondered
what you guys thought.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.