Re: [LUG] Computer shops and Linux

On Sunday 09 May 2004 5:53, Andrew Rogers wrote:
1) Posters and cards with URL to various Linux and newbie sites and the
DCLUG.

2) A list on the DCLUG of useful URLs.

All contributions welcome, or just use the Wiki.

3) A list of Linux friendly shops on the DCLUG.

ditto - easier to keep up to date.

4) Donate some distros to the shop. Paul may already have some distros
that were otherwise going to charity.

They may be comparatively old though.

5) Burn off Knoppix and stick DCLUG address on them.

6) Posters, displayed in shops, of LUG events.

I don't have any labels for my CDRs so I will scribble the DCLUG URL on
by hand for this pilot setup.

Stuck on paper labels printed in a home inkjet are not going to inspire any
more confidence than a hand-written label with a CD-R pen. Formal printed
CD-R discs are expensive, I haven't searched high and low but some examples:

Commercial printing:
CD-Rs screen printed with your own label design.
300 - £269
500 - £349

inkjet printed CD-Rs (printed directly onto the disc, not self-adhesive
labels).
10 - £20
20 - £35
50 - £85

Disc only Duplication (silver CD's not CD-R's)
300 CDs - £499 (£250)
The price shown in brackets is the cost of a re-run of the equivalent number.

CD's may be cheap but we'd have to charge to use formal printing.
£1.50 - £2 each inc VAT is about average.
One site will print for 48p/disc (50 minimum order) + VAT if CD-R's are
supplied. That seems a better deal - CD-R's don't have to cost 96p each but
postage might bump up the overall price.
http://www.rcs-limited.co.uk/cdr-copying-duplication-printing.asp

Alternatively, dabs has a better option:

Home writing and printing:
CD-R 700MB 74Min 48x InkJet Printable - 100 Pack
£34.99 inc VAT (£29.78 ex VAT
quicklinx 2S4QWS

Someone would need to have an inkjet that has a completely flat feed and able
to deal with very thick 'paper' (plus broadband). Mine couldn't do it.

Even with a spare (black) cartridge for their printer, that's only 50p each.
However, it means complete control over the print run, easy updating of the
image burnt onto the CDR and full control of the printed labelling.

Buying from dabs and shipping to rcs might be workable:
35p each + postage + 56p printing = cheaper than the 1.70 all-in deal.

Any idea how much a 100CD spindle would cost to post (and return)?

It would allow us two print runs to cover updates to Knoppix. I'll contribute
some funds if that helps.

--

Neil Williams