Re: [LUG] Debian stable desktop not so stable

Neil Stone wrote:
Couple of questions...

A) Define takes nose dive

X restarts, after first dragging me back to a corrupted screen.

B) What graphics card ya got

ATI Rage XL

C) Why unstable.. why not testing.. or even the stuff from backports ?

Testing and unstable seem pretty close at the moment - both get me
Xfree86 4.3 with a consistent set of other packages.

I could also try killing hardware acceleration on the ATI drivers - but
life is too short.

D) The errors may prove usefull
.xsession-errors
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed

daemon.log
Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly

:(

The rest appear to be just KDE cleaning up after this one.

If it is a KDE login it crashes on I have to approve the "/dev/dsp"
error messages before the crash finishes (/dev/dsp error is because I
haven't built a custom kernel yet - still running of the Debian for DELL
Poweredge kernel 2.4.25 which doesn't drive the audio hardware (yet!)).

Anyway I found a load of references to similar problems in the change
log of the ATI driver code in Xfree86 (and some Xfree86 3.3 problems
that sounded suspiciously similar). SO I have a reasonaby hope it may
just go away when the upgrade finishes in about 10 minutes.