[LUG] Debian stable desktop not so stable

When I hit "ctrl-alt-F1" to get a text screen, sometimes the desktop
(KDE) takes a nose dive on my new PC.

This is obviously very frustrating, both because I lose KDE, and second
when KDE restarts it drags me back to the GUI login.

A handful of errors in .xsession-errors (not very useful errors) is all
I've found so far.

I may whip it up to unstable - as stable seems rather "old" having been
at unstable oin the laptop for ages......

But has anyone seen this, and more importantly what is the best term to
google for regarding switching to a text only console? As I dare say
others have seen it before, but getting away from other Xfree86 problems
is proving fun.

Bit of a boo-boo with the wireless network card not the model I thought
it was (whats a "1" in the model number between friends?) - but
allegedly supported(?) under ndiswrapper - we'll see if I can ever stop
myself pressing "ctrl-alt-F1" out of habit.