Re: [LUG] Reasons to reboot

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 22:25, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
Rebooting is a pain.  Thanks to the stability of linux and the hibernate
feature on my laptop, I hardly ever have to reboot.

However, there are a couple of things that sometimes force me to reboot:

*  Network drives that won't unmount ("device is busy").  Trying "mount
-o remount" just hangs there.  Running "ls" on it crashes the terminal

"umount -l" might help, sometimes however it umounts but makes the mount
point useless until you reboot.

,
and it even seems to affect browsing the parent directory in KDE
applications.
*  Processes that won't die, despite "killall -9" and "kill -9".

I find "kill -s SEGV" rips out processes that just don't want to go,
Sometimes Xine will do this; It's GUI will hang around and it'll take
processor time but for all intents and purposes is dead, plain old kill
doesn't do the job but using the SEGV or XCPU signals instead seems to
do the trick.

Also, my KDE menu items have dissappeared, which is rather annoying.

Stumped there.

Cheers,

Daniel