Re: [LUG] backup MX

Kai Hendry wrote:
Ok, I have a headache.

Atm for my domains, all I have from my registar's control panel is the
IP of my DNS server.

It's been that way for awhile, but of course I need to change it. If the
machine goes down mail bounces.

No it queues at the senders end for whatever their MTA usually queues
undeliverable email for.

Saw a story on Netsys today which is very relevant to the backup MX
discussion.

http://www.netsys.com/cgi-bin/displaynews?a=704

The lesson in that story is sometimes less is more, particularly where
reliability is a key requirement.

Backup DNS is good, although even here DJB points out that the RFCs
require sensible behaviour from MTAs when a DNS domain is unreachable
for some reason. Obviously if anything to do with that domain is on
another machine you want redundancy to avoid disrupting whatever service
the second machine supplies.